Sunday, September 13, 2015

About Me

Things I enjoy:
  • Teaching Italian language and culture
  • Watching my students walk into class singing Italian songs
  • Smiling as my students ask me why there are so many naked statues in Italy 
  • Friday date night with my husband Cesar
  • Catching my daughter Alessandra reading the New York Times
  • Listening to my son Mateo comment on an NPR piece we are listening to while driving
  • Chicago Summers
  • Pasta all’ Amatriciana 
  • La Famiglia, Natale 2014
  • Technology, when it follows my lead
Things I could live without:
  • Chicago Winters
  • Chicago Winters 
  • Realizing I need gas at 6:50 in the morning
  • Making school lunches
  • Alfredo Sauce
  • Technology, when it won’t do what I ask 
     Mi chiamo Juliana Costabile. I have been an Italian teacher for almost 20 years.  The road that led me to teaching has been an interesting one. I am the oldest daughter of Southern Italian Immigrants who came to the United States in the early1970’s. My first trip to Italy was at the age of 5 with my father.  I still have vivid memories of our trip, from the fresh cow’s milk I refused to drink, to sneaking out to the barn to pet a horse I adored.

    I was born and raised in Highland Park Illinois till the age of 13. In 1986 my parents decided to move my 2 sisters and I from the North Shore to Calabria Italy, to live on a working farm.  As a teen you can imagine how thrilled I was!  After a few tears, I grew to love my surroundings.  I attended a liceo lingistico - a language high school. Here, I discovered I had a passion for languages.  

    Soon after I returned to the States to complete my senior year of high school and went on to major in Italian and minor in French and Spanish at Loyola University.  I continued my studies at The Ohio State University enrolling in a Masters program in Italian Language and Literature. At this point I still was not sure where I was headed professionally.  A week after arriving at Ohio State I also began a position as a teaching assistant ~ I taught Italian, levels 101-103.  I found it entertaining teaching students that were my age or slightly older and I still remember my hands shaking and speed reading through the syllabus on the first day of class. While teaching these classes I realized I wanted to go into teaching long-term and enrolled simultaneously in a newly created M.Ed. in Foreign Language Education program.


The school year begins
    After graduate school I returned to Chicago and started teaching at an all girl Catholic high school on the North Side of Chicago.  I taught there 14 years which seems crazy when I see it in print.  While teaching there I went through many personal milestones, met and married my husband Cesar, lived in Oak Park, and moved from Park (I still miss that one bedroom apartment).  From there we bought a home in Highland Park 3 minutes from my parents ~ love the free babysitting! In this home we are raising our 2 children Alessandra (11) and Mateo (8).  They make life fun, exciting and a bit hectic!
     
    Last year, on a very last minute whim I decided to apply for the Italian teacher position at Roosevelt Middle School.  I accepted the position the Saturday before school started and have been running (happily) ever since.  I love the enthusiasm and curiosity middle school students have and how willing they are to try new things. I feel they teach me something new everyday. 

2 comments:

  1. Love love love your bulleted list!! Great vibe in your story, thanks so much for sharing. River Forest is incredibly lucky to have Italian and French offered to its students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing...remember to include labels on each post.

    ReplyDelete